Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You Know Who Else Is A Good Cook???!!!

We are under a tornado watch here.

So there you go.

After I taught piano lessons I retrieved my kiddos in the pouring rain and came home to throw a quick meal together....penne marinara, steamed broccoli, and green beans with a little olive oil and sea salt.  Fast, simple, and probably about $6.00 total.

My son is very funny about dinnertime - not as in haha funny, as in hard to figure out funny.  Many days he will eagerly eat breakfast and lunch, but will fuss and resist food at the dinner table, even if we are eating something he likes.  He is my pickier child to begin with, and he just has this thing about dinner.


Now, I know most modern experts would tell me not to worry about it, blah blah blah.  But I think he has to at least something of what I've cooked, no matter what.  So we are the mean parents that make him take a few bites even on his fussy nights.  And if he doesn't eat much, well, no snacks.  


However, he does has some nights where he sits down and happily and hungrily devours his dinner as if it's a natural, everyday occurrence. Whenever he does this my husband and I just look at each other in this mixture of why is our kid bipolar about dinnertime and hallelujah, it's going to be a conflict free evening meal for a change look.  


Tonight was one of those nights!  Maybe it was the tornado.  Whatever it was he ate three helpings of pasta and gobbled up his green beans with a smile on his face! After he was done, he thanked me for the meal and told me it was delicious.  He said I was a good cook.  


Then he said knowingly, "You know who else is a good cook?"  I waited for his response, expecting him to say Grammie or something.  

"Rata-tootie," he pronounced.



Which is his endearing way of saying Ratatouille, the Disney movie about a rat with aspirations to become a renowned chef.


He then said, "Yeah, he says that no one can cook."

(Make that anyone but yes, he does.)

All I know is my four year compared my cooking to that of a talking Disney rat.  And this momma knew that in his book it was the highest of compliments.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Aww....what a sweetie :o)

    Hope tornadoes stay out of your area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend's son told her that they had to change rooms because a "tomato" was coming. Kids really do say the darnedest things.

    ReplyDelete