Friday, January 21, 2011

Blah, Blah, Blah

Ever get a case of The Blahs?

Me too, on occasion.


Even though by nature I am a glass half full, sunny side of the street girl, life has its fair share of challenges and disappointments that can sometimes threaten discouragement or defeat.



Here's the thing.  I have discovered through the years that when threatened with The Blah's there is one definite way to help overcome them.  Here it is....

Do something for someone else.


That may or may not have been the answer you were looking for.  Notice I didn't say spa day or retail therapy (though I'm not opposed to gift cards for those venues! I will accept!).  And notice I didn't share some deep theological thought or magic formula.

It's just a simple course of action that I have found to work wonders in my attitude.  One of the biggest reasons we get The Blah's is that we focus too much on ourselves.  So sometimes all we need is a shift of focus.  Spending a little time doing something for someone else has an unbelievable way of cheering me back up or getting my heart attitude right when necessary.

Here are some practical examples...

Make a gift basket of inexpensive items that are just perfect for a friend.

Visit a nursing home.

Bake a batch of cookies and deliver them.  (Freshly baked cookies tend to be well received!)

Write an encouraging note or email to someone, or an uplifting blog entry or facebook status.  

Do a chore to relieve someone else's duties.

Intentionally share some genuine compliments with several people in your life.

Spend time doing someone else's favorite thing with them, even if it's not your favorite.

Make your family's favorite meal.

Offer to babysit your friends' kids so they can have a date night.

Make a handmade gift or card to give to someone.

Drop off a homemade meal to a family in your community or church.

These are all simple and doable.  Just little ideas I have used to intentionally do something for someone else instead of myself.  I just have this feeling that someone out there reading this has a case of The Blah's and my hopes are to encourage you to chase them away (or "throw them out the window" like I tell my kids) by a simple act of service or opportunity to give to someone else!  You can do this!!

Jesus. Others. You.

Joy.


Lovingly, Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment