Friday, March 11, 2011

The More That You Read...

Last week was Dr. Seuss' birthday.  I remember celebrating this when I was a librarian at a school.  Madi came home one day talking about it, and it was neat because lately she has been using her new reading skills to read some of his books.  One of the books she has been into is the ever popular The Cat in the Hat.  I happened to open up the book the other day and notice the inscription...when I was pregnant with Madi my girlfriend Michelle gave me a book shower.  It was such a great idea, especially since she knew how much I loved to read.  She invited some of my girlfriends as well as the girls from the youth group, and they all brought their favorite children's book as a gift.  Some were new, some were actually their copies handed down.

I realized Madi's copy of The Cat in the Hat had been given to us at that shower by our beloved friend Emilie, the beautiful bride in whose wedding Madi had the joy of being the flower girl this December.  The inscription was dated March 11, 2005...6 years ago today.  Pretty special!


Then I found this drawing, depicting some of the characters from this story, in Madi's backpack.  She made it during her free time at school. I am always so delighted by what my little artist comes up with!  Her little imagination is always working.  And her details are fantastic!


We read to our kids almost every single day.  I even have this sign hanging in the our playroom...


 I think reading opens up another world to all of us, awakens our imaginations, allows our minds to create pictures for us, increases our vocabulary, knowledge, critical thinking, writing skills, and so much more.  I grew up in a family where all four of us were avid readers.  Growing up my dad always told me readers are leaders and leaders are readers.  I believe this is typically true.  There is so much learning and discovery at our fingertips when we are holding a book.

I hope you and your family are enjoying some good books together!  Because in the words of Dr. Seuss, 

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.  The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

No comments:

Post a Comment