Thursday, December 9, 2010

We've Already Failed Kindergarten

So, you all know my husband and I are new at being school parents.

Um, yeah.  About that.

See, my daughter's school has these "early release" days once a month where school randomly ends an hour earlier than usual.  I have no idea why.  Apparently it's a new deal this year.

And apparently yesterday was December's early release day.  I'll give you two guesses who forgot about it.

My husband rarely comes home on Wednesdays and Thursdays until 9:00 or 9:30 as they are busy days at church.  At most he may stop by in the afternoon for a few minutes.  I had my dinosaur pajama boy tucked in for an afternoon nap and asked if he could pick our daughter up at school.  No problem.  He was on it.  All was well.  Until he called me and said there were like, no cars in the parking lot at school.  And I had a panic attack. And felt my normally very low blood pressure shoot through the roof until he told me he found her sitting in the school cafeteria happily drinking chocolate milk and watching a movie with the after care kids...and some other kids whose parents also missed the memo.

We are totally on the naughty list this Christmas.  We are cotton-headed-ninny-muggins. (You're welcome, Elf fans. ;)

I mean, seriously, we didn't even make it through the first semester of kindergarten without becoming those parents! Unbelievable.  Thankfully, we were evidently not alone and our teacher and some of the other kindergarten teachers actually got a good laugh with [at] us.

Actually, I was telling my woeful tale to a teacher friend when I dropped off my daughter at church that night, and one of her classmate's mom was there and said that she forgot too!!

She is so my new best friend.

If any of you had a bad day of parenting, just be glad you and your husband didn't forget early release day like we did.  Between us we have two bachelor's and one master's degree, and we've already failed kindergarten before Christmas break.

There is an obvious reason the word chaos is in the title of this blog. 


The good news is, she's thriving!!  Just look at her first school picture!  

Bless her heart, she can't help it that she has two musicians/creative types for parents.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Funny! Well, it's funny AFTER the fact and you can use it for a good blog post! Ha!

    ReplyDelete