Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Break

Christmas Break has to be one of the absolute best times of the year.  For a week or two life actually slows down.  People take off work.  Friends gather.  Families nestle in at home.  For the most part everyone just seems less pressed and stressed.

We have had little on our agenda, and my goodness have I been thankful for that.

Last night after going to my parents' house for Christmas leftovers, the four of us came home, put on our pajamas, and watched Up for the first time.  Between the pillow pets and wonderful movie, snuggling on the couch with the Christmas lights twinkling, and lack of rush to bedtime, I had this wish that Christmas Break could last forever.

I have had a bit of a cold the past few days and a pesky, tickly cough woke me up at 5:45 this morning.  When I realized that it was just not going to stop with me lying down, I went ahead and got up to sit in my green chair with a cough drop and cup of hot tea with honey.  It was freezing cold and pitch black outside, so I turned on the Christmas lights and snuggled up under a blanket.  I considered doing my Bible study or blogging, but instead I simply sat, taking in the moment and thanking God for it.


I eventually stifled my cough and dozed off.  When the first light of dawn was breaking through the windows, I heard little footsteps.  My son squeezed in next to me on the green chair, nestled in, and we both fell asleep for another hour or so with my face against his soft brown hair.  We were in no rush to get up, and together we rested by light of the Christmas tree.

When he stirred later, I woke up shocked to find that it was almost 8:45.  Best news of all?  Everyone else was still blissfully asleep!  When else does that happen?

Christmas Break is magical.

I think it is the perfect way to end a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment