Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Shoepeg & Green Bean Casserole

A few weeks ago my friend Gina was visiting and we were at a favorite store of mine when I spotted a Gooseberry Patch cookbook I didn't have.  I am a huge fan of Gooseberry Patch cookbooks and this one was called 101 Christmas Recipes and it had pictures - aren't you crazy about cookbooks with pictures?! I know I am!

I resisted the urge to buy it but had a surprise later when my friend, who had seen me admiring it, gave it to me!!  She had snuck it (well, sneaked it if we're going to be all technical here) to the cash register while I was browsing!  She is one of the most generous people I know, not just with little gifts but also with time and help and kind gestures.  I think of her when I snuggle in my green chair and browse this cookbook for recipes ideas.

The other night I made a Shoepeg & Green Bean Casserole from this cookbook and it was oh-so-delicious! Now, if you just read my last post about party food and green bean bundles it may seem like I am on a mission to make fattening green bean dishes. I promise it's just a coincidence!! But sometimes canned green beans need a little fattening up, you know what I'm saying? Oh good, I just knew you would. ;)


Take a drained can of shoepeg corn and a drained can of green beans (I used two cans).  Mix in 1 can cream of celery soup, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup cheddar cheese.  Crush a sleeve of Ritz crackers on top.  Melt a stick of butter and drizzle on top. Bake at 350 for one hour.  

Now, obviously this recipe is on the (ahem) "rich" side.  I had picked up a nice, healthy rotisserie chicken at Sam's for $4.99 (those are the bomb) so I made a fresh batch of cranberry/orange/apple relish and steamed some broccoli to serve alongside this creamery, buttery batch of green bean and corn goodness.

It was a tasty meal!  Happy cooking!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing our recipe here, Jennifer...we're so glad to have found your blog! :)

    If you haven't already, visit our blog at www.gooseberrypatch.typepad.com for even more Gooseberry Patch goodies. You can find us on Facebook too: www.facebook.com/gooseberrypatch

    Hope to see you there and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks - I will have to become a follower! I am a big fan and have lots of your cookbooks, special edition magazines, even Christmas ornaments! I have given you other "shout-outs" on my blog before and will continue to do so!! Thanks so much for books with such creative and cozy ideas. I will continue to collect them...actually just picked out another one on Monday with my mom when Christmas shopping - I had to have it to make the Snickerdoodle coffee! :)

    ReplyDelete