Monday, March 26, 2012

To Love, Cherish, Honor, Protect

This morning my heart feels extra grateful for my husband.

I find myself thinking of the many things I admire about him, and thanking God for Him.

Don't be fooled into thinking we have a "perfect" marriage.  No such union exists because no such person exists.  On our wedding day, my dad told us while performing our ceremony that an enduring marriage is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person.  Like any other couple with an enduring marriage, we have to work out our kinks.  Sometimes I have flat out taken him for granted.  Sometimes he has taken me for granted.  Sometimes we have had to weather life's storms together and it has not been easy.  Life is tough.  Being a grown up is stinking hard sometimes.

But we went out on a date Saturday night and the subject of the tragedy of so many broken marriages out there came up.  We were reminded again of our love and resolve to be committed to each other.  Tears welled up in my eyes as I said to him, "The thing is, we just can't let life get the best of us."

Because sadly, life gets the best of so many people.  But with Christ, life can be abundant!  In Him, our foundation can remain strong when our world is shaken.  In His strength, we can strive to love each other with sacrificial, enduring love.

I am grateful this morning to not just have a working, co-existing relationship with my husband (though admittedly there are moments in marriage that it can seem like all you do is pay bills, struggle to make ends meet, clean up the same messes, etc).  I am grateful that our hearts are knit together.  That we are one.  That we enjoy each other.

I am thankful that my husband honors what I do for him, our children, and the ministry.  He believes my contribution is of great value, even when much of society does not.

I am thankful that he is a hands on dad, and willingly allows me the occasional break in routine for refreshment when an opportunity arises.  I don't have to worry about our kids when I am able to get away; they are in good hands.

And one of the things I am most grateful for is that he nourishes and guards my heart.  Over the past few years, I have seen him fiercely seek to protect the tenderness of my heart when others have sought to destroy it.  He has cherished me and protected me in a harsh world.

So this morning I take a moment to gratefully honor Jimmy.  To tell him thank you.  To thank God for giving us to each other to share life together.  To recall our vows and stand strong for marriage.  To humbly ask God for continued grace, protection, and blessings on our marriage. And to encourage you to do the same for yours.









Two imperfect people who made an unconditional commitment.  But who made it before a perfect God. He is who is able to keep life from getting the best of us.

We praise Him and give Him this and every day.

Hebrews 13:4a (NLT)  Give honor to marriage, and remain faithful to each other in marriage...

No comments:

Post a Comment