Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Holding on Loosely, Holding on Tightly

I know I say this a lot, but the further along I go on this life's journey, the more aware I am of how much I need Jesus, and how desperately I depend on time in God's Word.  I recently came to the end of two studies that made an impact on my heart.


I've mentioned both to you already - the first is Experiencing Peace: With God, You Can Live Beyond Fear, a Women of Faith study by Margaret Feinberg; the second is Crazy Love by Francis Chan, which we have been going through in an adult class I attend at church on Sundays.

One of the main things I have been reminded from both studies is that this world is not our home.  However, God does have us here for a purpose for this short time, and we should be so in love with Him that we are motivated to live this life fully abandoned to him, not serving Him our leftovers, but our best; and we shouldn't let fear stop us from doing whatever it is He may call us to do, whether in big or small things.

One of the many, many Scriptures Chan refers to in Crazy Love is Philippians 3:18-21, where Paul says many live on earth as enemies of the cross, with their mind set on earthly things.  He goes on to say that we are citizens of Heaven, a phrase I have always loved!  (My husband and I even used it once when we needed a band name for a concert back in the day!)  Francis Chan says, "A person who is obsessed [as compared to lukewarm] thinks about heaven frequently.  Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them."

In Experiencing Peace, there is a chapter centered on the "Hall of Faith" in Hebrews 11.  One thing I love about this passage is looking at the lives of those mentioned as faithful ones.  Their lives were often not easy; much of what God called them to do was not glamorous or exciting, but rather challenging work or circumstances.

The thing that amazes me the most is that it is said these people held on to the promises!!  They didn't always see the end result of their actions, but they remained faithful out of love and obedience to God with eternity, not the temporary, in mind.

This morning I was rereading what I had journaled a few weeks ago after studying some of the faithful ones mentioned in Hebrews.


They didn't receive the promise but they knew it was coming - held on to it - held on to this world loosely, and the promise of Heaven as their anchor, not things of this world - eternal focus not temporal - I want to be that way - aware this world is not my home, that only what I do for Christ will last.

I love life!  I enjoy living life to the fullest, abundantly as promised in John 10:10!  While living a life I love, I want to make sure my heart longs more for Jesus than the things of this world; that my attachments are to what matters in eternity, not what temporarily matters here; and that my days are purposeful in light of forever, not just the moment.

Enjoying each day and trying to make the most of a purposeful life God has given me here.  Holding on loosely to the things of this world as I enjoy.

Anticipating life in His presence, a life that is forever glorious.  Holding on tightly to the hope of His promises as I await His magnificent perfection.

Loosely and tightly,

Jennifer

Hebrews 11:13-16

These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.  For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland.  And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return.  But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country.  Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.


1 comment: