Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday Letters




Dear Madi,

You blessed my heart today.  It was this evening, when you sang with me in church.  Lifting up the name of Jesus was even sweeter when your voice joined mine.  You have always loved the song Your Great Name, and I'm thankful you were willing to sing it with me.  You get incredibly nervous to sing in front of others, and the attention makes you uncomfortable.  You even tell me not give you any "compliments."  But you have a lovely gift and a tender heart, and I want to help you build up your confidence to offer that heartfelt gift to God.  It takes courage.  It always will.  Your Paw Paw preached on courageous living this morning.  And I saw you exhibit courage this evening.  Your song was a true offering and made my heart sing.

I love you,

Mommy


Dear Trevor,

You blessed my heart today.  Your daddy has a relationship with a homeless man in the community.  John often comes into his office, and he has tried to encourage him to be a part of a local ministry that shares the love and message of Jesus clearly and offers a structured plan to help homeless people get on their feet.  You have heard us speak of this.  This morning you were in Daddy's office when John came in.  You two shared a doughnut with him, and then you asked him why he won't go to the ministry.  He told Daddy he couldn't believe that even his boy was after him!  You then invited him to church tonight.  You didn't care at all how he looked or smelled.  That makes me want to be more like you.  Later on the way to church we were chatting about this and that and all of a sudden you said, "I hope John comes to church tonight."  Then you asked if he could live with us since we have a guest room.  He was on your mind.  He didn't come to church tonight, and you made mention of it in the car afterwards.  But we said you can always pray for him, and knowing you, you will.   I love your tender heart.  Your compassion inspires me.

I love you,

Mommy


Dear Jimmy,

You blessed my heart today.  Your message this evening was Biblical, relatable, and right on time.  Perfect for the day.  I always love the illustrations you use.  I am thinking about what you said about how you watch and know about Tangled and Backyardians because your kids love them, and you love your kids.  How because of your love for your kids, you want to know what they love and do what they love.  And how if we love God, we will want to get in His Word to know and do what He loves.  That makes so much sense.  I also love what you said about how intimacy requires consistency.  How to have an intimate relationship with God or with your family, you must be there and do the work consistently.  Thank you for your consistency.  It is one of the things I love so very much about you.

I love you,

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment