Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Necessary Tasks and A Happy Octopus

Today was a very task-oriented day. 

I had gotten behind on some household tasks and had to seize the available time during the day to get things done because this week has been busy and tomorrow is even busier.  Unfortunately, I am not one of those girls who gets all excited to clean the house.  I like my house to be tidy and neat, but wish I could wave a magic wand or sprinkle glittering pixie dust to get it that way!  (So far all such attempts have failed.  I do have dust though!  Just not of the glittering pixie variety, ahem.)

So when I get behind, I use this magical trick: force myself to do what needs to be done.  The minute my kids walked out the door this morning, I made myself fold a gigantic mountain of laundry, forcing myself to fold and put away every item before I even had my coffee.  

Morning coffee is quite the motivator.

I had lots more to do - sorting through kids clothes, vacuuming, washing dishes, wiping sticky surfaces, managing clutter - so I put one of my favorite Pandora stations that plays gorgeous orchestra scores from movies (that music always energizes me) and worked all day long.

The beautiful music helped, and so did setting the kitchen timer a few times to push myself to keep a good pace and make each task seem manageable.  

Thankfully I managed to get most of what I wanted to accomplish finished just in the nick of time to pick up Madi from school, teach piano lessons, and head straight to youth group.

I had popcorn and a Cherry Coke for dinner.  

I wanted to write a few posts here, but I am wiped out.

So instead of a great post, I'll leave you with a photo of an octopus my son drew for his homework.  He is not one to sit around and draw for fun like his sister always has, so when I saw this I thought it was the cutest thing ever!  I always love to see a happy, stick-figure octopus.


And I'll also leave you with a photo of some treats my friend Laurie sent me in the mail from Maryland.  I'm telling you, I think she reads my mind.  She always sends these packages with the perfect little surprises!  What a friend.  I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment