Friday, February 3, 2012

Cheddar-Parmesan Bread and Friday Night at Home

The minute my daughter stepped into the door from school this afternoon, she and her brother headed right back outside to play "secret agent." (I know.  Seriously cute.)  I brought a blanket and some Gooseberry Patch cookbooks outside, and sat on the blanket reading recipes and keeping an eye on my little agents as they ran and explored.  The breeze was strong, and the huge trees that line the empty field behind our house serenaded us as they sighed and cracked in the wind.  I was enjoying the moment, and the fact that we had no plans for the evening but to simply stay in as a family.

I was planning on cooking an easy, inexpensive dinner and while scanning through one of the cookbooks I came across a recipe for Cheddar-Parmesan Bread that sounded really tasty.  The best part was I had the ingredients on hand, all except for oregano which I substituted with a little Italian Seasoning.  This bread was so easy and truly yummy!  


Cheddar Parmesan Bread

1 1/2 cups biscuit baking mix 
1 cup shredded  Cheddar cheese 
1/4 grated Parmesan cheese 
1/2 t. dried oregano 
1/2 cup milk 
1 egg, beaten

Mix in bowl...stir together to form thick batter.  Put in greased 8" round cake pan.  Drizzle with 2 T melted butter (I just brushed on a little olive oil instead).  Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes.  Let cool for 10 minutes; cut in wedges and serve warm.



This bread had a biscuit like texture and the flavor lent itself to the biscuits at Red Lobster.  In fact, the next time I make it I'm going to add a little garlic powder to bring out that flavor even more!  I served it up with some good old spaghetti...


And green beans, the one vegetable my son actually gets excited about!  I always rinse canned green beans in cool water, then cook them with a smidgen of olive oil and sea salt.


We enjoyed our meal and unhurried evening at home.  Sometimes there is nothing I'd rather do on a Friday night than stay in, and this was one of those times!  Though we actually did sneak out for a few minutes...my husband suggested some ice cream from Sonic for a treat, and I had a gift card leftover from my birthday in June!  

Simple pleasures.

Now the kids have long been asleep and I think I will soon follow.

Good bread, good meal, good night.

Sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment