Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Thirty-Two

One of my faraway friends sent me a message the other night, and at the end of it she said she knew I have been busy but she has missed my blog.  I thought that was sweet!  Truth is, I have been pretty busy with two things around here.

1. Helping prepare for VBS & 2. Turning thirty-two!

I must say, as birthdays go this one was magical and memorable!  Upon waking up my husband made me this....


And then gave me a card that made me cry...


Then my parents came by with more cards that made me tear up...



And fun birthday surprises like these large decorative canning jars that are brimming with possibilities...


New French throw pillows and a fondue pot...


And this dress that I wore on Sunday...


Later we all had lunch at one of my favorite little spots and my parents surprised me with a beautiful monogrammed cake!  Chocolate, of course. :)


And then I headed off for a two night girlfriends getaway!  I had to pinch myself to believe it was actually happening!  I ate my birthday dinner at the Polynesian Resort with three dear girlfriends who have meant the world to me this year.  We feasted on what might have been the best meal I've ever eaten - not an exaggeration, I am still dreaming about perfectly grilled steak and chicken, noodles and broccoli, pineapple bread pudding....ohhhh, and the fresh out of the oven, sweet Hawaiian bread.  My friend Heather even snapped this picture of me with my bread.  If I wasn't so happily married to Jimmy I might have married it, I loved it that much.


We ate and laughed and just spent beautiful, uninterrupted time together.  After our meal we sat on the beach outside the resort and watched the fireworks in the distance over the castle at Magic Kingdom.  It was magical.  One of those nights I will always wish I could go back to and be so grateful I experienced.



The next morning we brewed coffee and ate breakfast in our room, talking and laughing and having an extended pajama party.  It was so fun!  After a day by the pool of the laying out and talking (not chasing after children!) variety, some more girlfriends came our way and we went out to dinner for one of those nights where you laugh so hard you hurt!!  Somewhere in the course of events I had a sombrero slapped on my head and a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday" sung to me, and we ended the night accessory shopping at Charming Charlie, so it is safe to say a good time was had by all. :)



It was a fabulous birthday celebration.  I don't deserve such blessings, and honestly feel humbled to have enjoyed such quality time with girlfriends and sweet generosity from family.  The past few years have been filled with so much rich goodness, but also with some challenges that have truly kept me on my knees.  The fact that God, who above anyone else knows the secret things of my heart, chose to bring some fun and nurturing friends into my life at just the right time makes me want to cry.  The way He has knit my heart closer to the heart of my husband and family, reminded me over and over what is of value in His eyes, and allowed me some vibrantly colorful sprinkles of laughter and enjoyment amidst some of life's rain showers reminds me that He is intimately acquainted with the details of my life and loves me with the kind of generous love a father has for a daughter.  As I celebrated thirty-two, I was keenly aware of this love and generosity.

And I gratefully and joyfully entered a new year of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment