Thursday, May 26, 2011

If Your Taste Buds Need Some Excitement...

....then I would highly recommend making this Cornbread Salad!


I have made it twice in the past week.  I think I may be slightly obsessed, but you will understand why when you taste it.

I got this recipe from a woman named Debbie in our church who is among a group of women who can cook it up so well that I jump at the opportunity to eat anything they have made!  (I'm serious - when I get an invite to one of their Sunday School parties I.come.hungry.)

It looks great served in a trifle bowl, and serves a crowd!  Or a hungry girl who has a fondness for Southwestern fare.

Cornbread Salad

1 9'' pan of cornbread with 1 can green chilies added (Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix is perfect)
2 16 ounce cans of pinto beans (drained)
2 cans of Mexicorn
6 pieces of bacon, fried and crumbled
16 ounce package of shredded cheese

1 medium onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped

Dressing Mix
1 oz package dry Ranch dressing mix
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream


Layer in glass dish...

Cornbread
Beans
Corn
Tomato-Onion-Pepper
Cheese
Dressing

Repeat layer and top with bacon.

Thanks to Debbie for sharing this recipe with me!  I am smitten!

*Note - the first time I made it I used jalapenos in the cornbread instead of chilies which kicked it up a notch and was very tasty, if you like a little heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment