Wednesday, May 9, 2012

One Clear Certainty

A couple weeks ago on a beautiful morning, I sat on my front stoop, letting the breeze off the lake blow through my hair as one of my most faithful friends and prayer warriors read this Scripture to me over the phone from miles away.


I Peter 1:3-9


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.


In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love.  Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith - the salvation of your souls.

Those words were like water to my thirsty soul.  Around the same time, a woman I have never met but has become a friend thanks to the blogging world sent me this verse...

Job 23:10 But He knows the way that I take; When He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold.


More water to my soul.

Recently, this passage stood out to me and I sent this Scripture to another faraway friend who I knew needed to hear this as well.

Psalm 32:7-8, 10-11

You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall surround me with songs of deliverance.  (Selah)

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.

Many sorrows shall be to the wicked; But he who trusts in the Lord, mercy shall surround him.  Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, you righteous; And shout for joy, all you upright in heart!

When I shared the devotion at our last ladies event, I told the women that if there is one clear certainty from the past several years of my life, it is this - God's Word is so powerful, and it is vital that I spend time in it daily.  It is my sword, my lifeline, my source of hope and encouragement, the lamp unto my feet and light unto my path.  I encouraged them once again to take time to learn, study, and apply the Word of God to their lives.

One thing I love about our church is the fabulous children's workers God has blessed us with.  Our kids learn so much each Sunday and Wednesday, and I can't even begin to express how grateful I am for the discipleship they are receiving at such a young age.  This past Sunday, Trevor came home with this...


I love the simple instructions at the bottom of the page regarding God's Word.

Read it!  Do it!

Now that is some great advice for us all.



*Note - This morning looks like it should be a quiet one, and barring any unexpected interruptions, I am going to try to spend some time sharing with you some of the lessons I have been learning lately from God's Word that I have been meaning to write about.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Still praying, friend :) I love those verses in 1 Peter. I needed that this morning!

    ReplyDelete