Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Broccoli Salad

I love vegetables.  As I sit here and type this, I am popping grape tomatoes dipped in ranch seasoning sprinkled sour cream between words.  Though I guess a tomato is technically a fruit...but most of us consider it a veggie, so whatever!

I usually eat broccoli steamed, but sometimes I like it raw and know that you get the most nutrition that way.  And a yummy way to eat raw broccoli is to make Broccoli Salad!  Here is a super easy recipe I have made twice in the past couple weeks...


One 12 oz. bag chopped raw, washed, ready to steam in bag broccoli (I find these in the produce section of Publix - I am not talking about the frozen bags!!)
1/2 cup light mayonnaise (Duke's is yummy and the right price)
1 TBSP. white vinegar
1/8 cup of sugar
Craisins, golden raisins, chopped walnuts
Part of a  red onion chopped (you will cry and your eyes will burn like crazy doing this!)
3-5 strips fried bacon, drained and crumbled (optional)

Take bag of fresh broccoli and chop into even smaller pieces, throwing away parts of stem you don't want.  In a bowl mix mayo, vinegar, and sugar very well.  Stir in chopped broccoli.  Stir in craisins, golden raisins, walnuts, and onions.  Gently stir in bacon if you used it (it is good either way).


This salad is sweet, tangy, crunchy, and full of good for you stuff!  You can easily double this recipe for a crowd. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment