Monday, August 22, 2011

I Found My Courage



I even found enough of it to go with Jimmy to drop the kids off at school, something I just couldn't do on Madi's first day of kindergarten!  I'm thankful I did, because it was special to send a grown up and confident Madi off to First Grade, and hold my best little buddy's hand as he bravely walked into his first day of Pre-K.  Last night during prayers at bedtime he was a little nervous, and I put my hand on his heart and told him he could find his courage there.  This morning he was very composed as he walked into his first day of school; his only request was that Mommy walk him to his seat.  When he sat down, I placed my hand on his little heart once again and reminded him it was there that he could find his courage.  What he didn't know was at that moment my heart felt like it was being squeezed, and I was working hard to find my own. And what I didn't know was that Jimmy took a photo of our little fellow's last little kiss on my cheek before he started this new season of his life.  I know this is a snapshot of life that I will forever cherish, just as I have cherished the almost five years I have been able to invest wholeheartedly in a brown eyed boy who stole my heart the moment I first laid eyes on him.


I have been praying all summer for the kids' teachers and school year, and one night last week during bedtime prayers I suggested to Trev that he pray about school.  He said okay and then prayed, and I quote,


"Dear God, pwease help my Darf Vader shoes wight up a wot."


It wasn't exactly what I was thinking, but from the looks of things this morning, God answered his sincere little prayer!  Those Darth Vader shoes lit up the sidewalk as we walked him into his first class.  Madi was also sparkling in her Twinkle Toes, and carried a new lunch sack with a little love note tucked in from Mommy.  She is smitten by her young and darling new teacher, and woke up at 2 am wondering if it was time to go to school yet! 


Both kids went in sweetly, and came out with reports of a great day!  I'm still trying (nagging) to pull as many details out of them as I can, but it seems Trevor was most impressed by the playground and according to Madi her favorite thing was everything, and she really liked the work.  As for me, I had to hold back tears as I left Trev at his little desk, and drove off with an urge to go bawl my eyes out.  Instead I dug out a gift card and had Jimmy take me to Starbucks so I could drown my sorrows in a coffee and oatmeal.  Which was actually really fun because a random, kid-free coffee date sort of felt like we were back in college again! But then we went to Aldi for cheap groceries and Sam's Club for cheap gas, and I was back to being a certified grown up. With two kids in school.



After school the kids had fresh fruit and homemade cookies, and then I read Curious George's First Day of School to them.  By dinner I didn't even want to think about cooking, so my sweet husband ran out for some local cheap Chinese food, which may just have to be a back-to-school tradition!  Soon we are going to do our nightly school reading (think we are going to continue on in Charlotte's Web), do baths and bed, then start all over again the morning before the sun is up.  1 school day down, 179 more to go.  Well, at least to get through First Grade and Pre-K, that is! I am beyond thankful for the teachers God placed Madi and Trev with, and the fabulous first day they had.  I am excited for this school year in many ways.  I am a bit overwhelmed at the thought of it, knowing how busy we will become very shortly.  However, we are just going to take it one day at a time, give each day to God, and when we think we can't get it all done we'll just follow the classic advice on the paper I set out on the breakfast table this morning...


I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

Praying for a beautiful school year.  

And that Trevor's Darth Vader shoes will light up a wot.  

And that my kids will shine for Jesus as brightly as the twinkles on their toes.


5 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you and HAPPY for you that you went along for the morning drop off...what a good day! thank you for sharing! debbie d.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post! I am sending my little guy off to kindergarten next week....with the same backpack as your little guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a writer you are Jennifer!!! Thanks for letting us have a glimpse into the lives of your family!!!
    Love,
    Arlene :) Philippi
    Psalm 118:24

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I hit the afterschool snack aka: TV time Jackpot today...THANKS for the care package at Cindy's house...so fun! Debbie D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) love it Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete