Friday, September 23, 2011

Simple and De-LIGHT-ful Pumpkin Apple Muffins

Yesterday I made the most simple and light little muffins using a combination of recipe ideas and ingredients.  They have a different texture than most muffins as they have no eggs, oil, or added fat, but that made them light and they were also filled with nutritious ingredients.  The kids loved them, and I get excited when they love food that has "good for you" stuff in it!  It was gray and rainy by the time we got in the door from school, and it was comforting to have this cheerful and healthy little snack waiting for them.


All I used for the batter was one box of spice cake mix, 1 1/3 cups pumpkin, 3/4 cup apple cider, and one lunchbox sized cinnamon applesauce cup.  Mixed it up, baked them at 350 for 13-15 minutes.  This made 24 small muffins, though if you added more batter to the cups (which should be okay because they aren't going to rise the same as a regular muffin) you could probably make 16-18 larger muffins.  The apple cider along with the spices in the mix gave them great flavor!


Madi deemed them "awesome!"


And Trev was in the middle of saying "Mmmmm!!" when I snapped this photo!


I made them some chocolate milk and as the rain pounded against our windows, they gobbled up their muffins and I let them blow as many bubbles in their milk as they wanted!



Because after school snack time is a fun time.  :)


*Note: I put the leftover muffins in the freezer - after a 25 second microwave warm up, the kids had homemade and nutritious muffins for breakfast this morning, and will have them for several more breakfasts or snacks over the course of the next month.  I am all about baking, freezing, and reheating when I can instead of going for pre-packaged stuff.  Did the same thing with some pumpkin apple cider pancakes I made last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment