Friday, September 16, 2011

Hello, Cranberry-Pecan Pumpkin Cookies

It was incredibly nice to meet you.


I made these the other day from a recipe out of that cookbook I was telling you about...


They were chock full of autumn flavors. They made the house smell amazing.  And they had more nutritional value than most cookies, thanks to the pumpkin, pecans, and craisins.  I was a fan!

Cranberry-Pecan Pumpkin Drop Cookies

Preheat the oven to 350.  Spread 3/4 cup pecan halves in small baking pan and bake until lightly toasted, 8-10 minutes.  Chop coarsely.  (I will give you original measurements, but I doubled the recipe).


Use electric mixer on medium speed to beat 1 stick butter until fluffy.  Gradually add 1 cup brown sugar, beating until creamy.  (Don't you just love recipes that use only brown sugar?!)


Add 1 large egg, 2/3 cup pumpkin, and 1 tsp vanilla extract and beat until smooth.  In a medium bowl stir together 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp ground cloves, and a pinch of salt.  Add dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix until just incorporated.  Stir in chopped pecans and 1 cup dried cranberries.

*Note:  I didn't have allspice so I used apple pie spice instead...and when I doubled the recipe, I used 1 cup craisins and about 3/4 cup of craisins with orange essence.  The orange in those went so nicely with the cloves, giving them a truly seasonal taste...they would be great at Christmastime!  The author also said you could substitute walnuts and chocolate chips for the pecans and dried cranberries for a variation.


Drop the batter in rounded teaspoons onto baking sheets.  Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes.  Cool and store in airtight container for 3 to 4 days or wrap and freeze for up to 1 month.


Since I doubled the recipe I had some to eat, some to freeze, and as always, some to give away.


This is just one of the many recipes that I plan on trying from that beautiful cookbook - other autumn cooks out there, I found it at Cracker Barrel in case you are interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment