Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Proverbs 2

What a full week we are in the midst of!   I have been going completely nonstop, and am so thankful God has provided the energy and strength I need for each day. That has definitely been a prayer of mine this week.  I wanted to stop and settle in for a few moments though to share some thoughts from Proverbs 2.  It's interesting, one of my friends in Maryland who is joining me on this journey said her son told her they are studying Proverbs at youth group.  Tonight at youth group, several of the passages Jimmy used in his lesson on communication and words came from Proverbs.  And our adult Sunday School class is set to begin a study on Proverbs this Sunday. I think God is definitely drawing us to this book!


What stood out to me this morning from Proverbs 2....

We need to have a passion for wisdom.

Proverbs 2:3-4 "Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding.  Search for them as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasures."

Most of us have several passions we pursue, and that is not necessarily bad.  In fact, it can be healthy and good and profitable.  But we need to make sure that we keep a passion for increasing wisdom and the knowledge of God's Word, because that is great treasure!

God will grant us wisdom if we genuinely seek it.

Proverbs 2:5-6 "Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God.  For the Lord grants wisdom!  From his mouth come knowledge and understanding!"

For quite a few years now, I have claimed God's promise from James 1:5  and asked God for wisdom. I have also tried to diligently seek wisdom from God's Word and wise counsel.  I can honestly testify that God has faithfully answered those prayers and revealed Himself and His wisdom to me in so many ways!  He will give you wisdom if you ask for it and seek it!

There is protection in wisdom.

Proverbs 2:7-8, 11 "He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest.  He is a shield to those who walk with integrity.  He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to him....Wise choices will watch over you.  Understanding will keep you safe."

We are always sharing with the teenagers in our youth group wisdom from God's Word that will help protect them from the consequences of sin.  All of us need to remember that God wants the best for us!!  His standards and ways are not meant to ruin our lives, but to give us the most abundant life possible!

There is joy in wisdom.

Proverbs 2:10 "For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will fill you with joy."

If you know me or have read my blog for awhile, you know joy is a subject I'm passionate about!  I love what God's Word has to say about joy, how it reveals where it is found.  I believe that of all people, those of us who know Christ should radiate joy! How awesome to read that wisdom and the knowledge of God's Word will fill us with joy!  I know even when times are tough, my heart is filled with joy when I spend time in God's Word.  It is unexplainable but so very real!

No comments:

Post a Comment