Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Proverbs 1

I was thrilled to hear from so many of you who will be joining me on the journey through Proverbs during the month of October!  I hope you who are will share with me something you learn along the way!


Today we looked at Proverbs 1.  A few things that stood out to me...

Wisdom brings honor.

Proverbs 1:8-9 "My child - listen when your father corrects you.  Don't neglect your mother's instruction.  What you learn from them will crown you with grace and be a chain of honor around your neck."

I was blessed to be raised by authentic, God-fearing, Jesus-loving, wisdom-seeking parents.  I am beyond grateful for their correction and instruction.  My mom's 60th birthday is today, and I am so thankful for the wisdom and discernment she has passed down to me!  I still learn from my parents all the time!  I also thought this would be a great verse for those of us who are parents to share with our children.  I know my heart's desire is to raise honorable children who walk in grace and wisdom.  Oh, God, help us!! We need you as we raise our little ones!

We should seek wisdom over money and worldly schemes.

Proverbs 1:17-19 "If a bird sees a trap being set, it knows to stay away.  But these people set an ambush for themselves; they are trying to get themselves killed.  Such is the fate of all who are greedy for money; it robs them of life."

It burdens my heart how many in our culture - even our Christian culture - think money will bring them happiness, satisfaction, and peace.  There is nothing wrong with money in and of itself, but so quickly greed can overtake us, and greed will take us down destructive paths.  Be careful not to let a longing for money rob you of life!

Some will reject wisdom, but will sadly pay for this choice.

Proverbs 1:24-31 [Wisdom Shouting] "I called you so often, but you wouldn't come. I reached out to you, but you paid no attention.  You ignored my advice and rejected the correction I offered.  So I will laugh when you are in trouble!  I will mock you when disaster overtakes you - when calamity overtakes you like a storm, when disaster engulfs you like a cyclone, and anguish and distress overwhelm you.  When they cry for help, I will not answer.  Though they anxiously search for me, they will not find me. For they hated knowledge, and chose not to fear the Lord."

Yikes.  This passage makes me so sad.  But I can tell you from experience and the experience of many of my wise friends and family in ministry, often people will come to you in a crisis for advice.  They will ask you for advice and you will pour your soul into them and share wisdom from God's Word with them.  A few will heed the advice.  But most will walk away and do whatever they want.  This is a sad reality, and one that Proverbs records.  The consequences, as we read, are devastating.  Let's choose to fear the Lord!  Remember from yesterday, that is the foundation of true knowledge!

Wisdom brings peace.

Proverbs 1:33 "But all who listen to me will live in peace, untroubled by fear of harm."

Don't you want to live a life of peace?  I know I do!  And I know it doesn't come in the ways the world tries to offer it.  But knowing God intimately, walking in His truth, living by His standards and within His will - oh, the peace that is found!  Makes me think of John 14:27.  Our hearts don't have to be troubled; we don't have to be afraid.

One last thought for tonight...with my mind on wisdom and all that is going on in our government, I feel burdened to pray for our nation's leaders, that they would be wise. That they would seek God for wisdom.  I don't pray that enough, and feel convicted that I need to.  Perhaps you could join me in that prayer tonight.

Blessings to you all!  Thanks for joining me on this journey!

Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog and this series! I am joining in a tad late but will be caught up soon! I love that each time I read through Proverbs, different verses stick out to me! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete