Sunday, October 13, 2013

Proverbs 10-13

I hope you all have had a good weekend!  Ours was full of family, friends, worship, and teaching.  We were in Proverbs several times at church today - amazing how often this book is popping up!

If you have been reading on this journey, you have noticed that this portion of Proverbs is written in couplets, short sayings that drive home practical wisdom for daily living in every stage of life.  Though it is hard to choose, here are some that have stood out to me the past few days...



Proverbs 10:9 "People with integrity walk safely, but those who follow crooked paths will slip and fall."

Proverbs 10:16 "The earnings of the godly enhance their lives, but evil people squander their money on sin."

Proverbs 10:17 "People who accept discipline are on the pathway to life, but those who ignore correction will go astray."

~ Goes back to that teachable spirit we talked about the other day!

Proverbs 10:19 "Too much talk leads to sin.  Be sensible and keep your mouth shut."

~ Wow. There is a time for silence, for sure!

~

Proverbs 11:13 "A gossip goes around telling secrets, but those who are trustworthy can keep a confidence."

Proverbs 11:18 "Evil people get rich for the moment, but the reward of the godly will last."

Proverbs 11:20 "The Lord detests people with crooked hearts, but he delights in those with integrity."

Proverbs 11:22 "A beautiful woman who lacks discretion is like a gold ring in a pig's snout."

~ Ladies, let's do better than this!!

~

Proverbs 12:1 "To learn, you must love discipline; it is stupid to hate correction."

Proverbs 12:3 "Wickedness never brings stability, but the godly have deep roots."

~ This was our theme verse for camp this summer that we memorized with our students!

Proverbs 12:15 "Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others."

Proverbs 12:16 "A fool is quick-tempered, but a wise person stays calm when insulted."

~ Great advice to recall the next time we have insults hurled at us.

Proverbs 12:25 "Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up."


~

Proverbs 13:3 "Those who control their tongue will have a long life; opening your mouth can ruin everything."

Proverbs 13:11 "Wealth from get-rich schemes quickly disappears; wealth from hard work grows over time."

Proverbs 13:20 "Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble."

~ Young or old, it matters whom we hang out with.

Proverbs 13:24 "Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children.  Those who love their children care enough to discipline them."

I love my children.  Which is why, as hard as it is sometimes, I need to be intentional about discipline and correction.  When I have to discipline my children, I often tell them that if I didn't care about them I would let them do whatever they wanted and suffer the consequences.  I wouldn't take the time or effort to teach them right from wrong.  I explain to them that it is because I love them so much that I want to teach them what is right and wrong from God's Word, and correct them when they are wrong so they will learn and hopefully not have to suffer certain consequences down the road.

Discipline can be so draining on us parents, but don't give up!!  In love not anger, with clear boundaries and consequences, be willing to correct your children - remember, you are ultimately showing them that you love them and want the absolute best for them!

1 comment:

  1. This Proverbs study has been good for me to read. About the last verse, it's definitely exhausting to correct and discipline two feisty little ones! This is an area I'm constantly needing God to fill me with dedication, wisdom, strength and patience. Whew.... Parenting is hard work, but I'm praying that as they grow we will see the fruits:) i pray I'm the best mommy for these children, and they grow to love Christ more & more! It's my hearts cry.

    I hope you're feeling well and you're staying rested yourself!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete