Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Proverbs 14-16

I was home for a bit yesterday morning, which was nice.  I was actually waiting on an internet service person to come.  The waiting allowed me to stop and rest in my chair for a bit.  Beside me was a glowing candle given to me by a friend.  In the room behind me, the washer churned. Outside my window were overcast skies, all the more reason to stop and sit awhile as I waited for the towels to be ready to put in the dryer and the repairman to come to my door.


I ended up getting called to sub the second half of the day, and dashed off to Aldi before I headed to school.  But during that brief but wonderful quiet time I drank a cup of chai and read my Proverb for the day.  This morning I am home again and that same candle burns.

 Here are some of the Proverbs that stood out to me the past few days....

~

Proverbs 14:1 "A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands."

~ This first verse really caught me as I read it.  The Bible has a lot to say about women and the home.  Oh, how I want to be a home builder! God, please help us in this!

Proverbs 14:2 "Those who follow the right path fear the Lord; those who take the wrong path despise him."

Proverbs 14:7 "Stay away from fools, for you won't find knowledge on their lips."

~ We need to be especially careful whom we seek advice from.  We really need to be sure that we are seeking godly counsel, not just validation of our own desires or opinions, when dealing with the issues of life.

Proverbs 14:9 "Fools make fun of guilt, but the godly acknowledge it and seek reconciliation."

Proverbs 14:12 "There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death."

~ Be careful which path you take.  Be wise as you discern the difference between what seems right, and what is right.

Proverbs 14:16 "The wise are cautious and avoid danger; fools plunge ahead with reckless confidence."

Proverbs 14:26 "Those who fear the Lord are secure; he will be a refuge for their children."

~ Our decisions affect generations.  I desire to make wise decisions that will pass down blessings, not harm, to our children and the generations to come.

~

Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare."

~ Good to remember next time we are provoked.

Proverbs 15:3 "The Lord is watching everywhere, keeping his eye on both the evil and the good."

~ Both convicting and comforting.

Proverbs 15:7 "The lips of the wise give good advice; the heart of a fool has none to give."

Proverbs 15:9 "The Lord detests the way of the wicked, but he loves those who pursue godliness."

Proverbs 15:16 "Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil."

~ How many of those in our culture who have the most treasure are consumed with turmoil?  It's a sad reality - but fear of the Lord brings joy, even without great earthly treasure!  He is our treasure!

~

Proverbs 16:2 "People may be pure in their own eyes, but the Lord examines their motives."

Proverbs 16:3 "Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."

Proverbs 16:9 "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."

~ God will have His way in us.  It's not wrong to plan, but we need have an open heart for what He wants to do in and through us.  Sometimes His plans surprise us - but they don't surprise Him!

Proverbs 16:18 "Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall."

Proverbs 16:20 "Those who listen to instruction will prosper; those who trust the Lord will be joyful."

~ Once again, here is a source for JOY - trusting in God and listening to His instruction!

Proverbs 16:24 "Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."

Proverbs 16:28 "A troublemaker plants seeds of strife; gossip separates the best of friends."

~ Such practical truth.  Be careful not to be excited by strife and drama.  Be careful of relationships that center around gossip.


Got called in again, so with that I'm off to school!

Thank you for joining me on this journey!  


No comments:

Post a Comment