Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Baker, The Candlestick Maker

My friend Laurie recently sent me a link to a recipe for Pink Lemonade Pound Cake that she thought would interest me.  I couldn't stop thinking about those pale pink mini cakes that sounded just right with summertime approaching.  I love the tart tanginess of lemonade, especially on a warm, sunny day!


I knew Madi would enjoy baking them with me, so last Wednesday we had a little baking date after school, but not before putting on the fun aprons my sis-in-law made us for Christmas.  (She even sent one for a doll to wear, how fun is that?!)


We followed the recipe, but substituted nonfat plain greek yogurt for the sour cream and used 1 egg and 3 egg whites rather than 3 eggs.  You can find the recipe for these adorable cakes by clicking right here.


They didn't take long at all to make, so we had a few minutes left to enjoy one together before lessons and church.  I brewed one of Madi's favorites -  peach green tea with honey.  She requested the butterfly teacup, and I chose the rose one.



I miss the days of Madi being home with me when we used to bake together all the time.  Our times in the kitchen are fewer and farther between than they used to be but I cherish them, and look forward to summer when school is out and we can bake and cook together more often!!  There is so much that happens between us when we spend time together in the kitchen.


Last week I also tried something else new, this time in the decorating department.  I'm not sure if this is even allowed, but since I was painting everything else blue, I painted a heavy silver candlestick that I've had for years.  It was sitting in a closet and I wondered what it would look like with a little paint.  Turns out it looks great!


The beautiful details in the silver were really brought out with this new look.


I used a candle and some scraps of ribbon I already had to dress it up.


And this is where it is at the moment!  Of course, that could change anytime around this place, but for now this is what is sitting in our little entryway by the front door.


With a little paint, paper, and a doily, I made that framed print recently as well.


Have you been making anything new these days?!  Would love to hear!

1 comment:

  1. I sure have been having a great time perusing many of your posts! Baking time in matching aprons is super sweet! So nice stopping by to say Hi! :)

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete