Thursday, July 7, 2011

Making Homemade Play Dough And Other Fun In The Kitchen!


Today we made homemade play dough which was a fun, hands-on project for the kids!  Sort of messy, but let's face it, a lot of things that are fun make a mess!  And when my Trev is pouring salt it's just not going to be a tidy moment. But I simply kept the vacuum nearby and let them go to town. They enjoyed seeing how this worked.


Homemade Play Dough

Pour 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup salt, and 3 TBSP vegetable oil into a medium bowl and stir with a wooden spoon. Add 1/3 cup water tinted with 17 drops of desired shade of food coloring.  Knewad dough with hands until it feels smooth.  If dough is crumbly, add more oil; if it's sticky, add more flour.  Store in the refrigerator.  Add scented oils if you would like.


We definitely found we needed more oil for ours.  And as for 17 drops of food coloring, I'm thinking Madi's number was a lot closer to that than Trev's who had blue food coloring dropping out so fast I could barely keep count!  It turned out pretty neat - sure we had play dough on hand they could have used, but it was more about the process and keeping those minds and hands busy on a summer day.




On Saturday, two little dolls helped me make the morning waffles...




And Trev had been begging me to make banana bread, so last week I had 3 ripe bananas that I used to make him a loaf using this recipe from the Food Network.  I am always willing to make the kids anything that has fruit or vegetables in it!


This afternoon I tried a scrumptious recipe that I will share with you soon.  Be on the lookout if you like shortbread.  Mmm, mmm, mmm. We are just having too much fun in the kitchen these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment