Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tomato Pie

My mom and I are born and bred D.C. Suburban, Mid-Atlantic girls with some southern roots...and we are currently living in the South.

And in true southern fashion, my mom dropped by a pie to my house yesterday...but not just any pie. A tomato, basil, and cheese pie that was (in the words of my cornbread, grits, and collards loving Aunt Linda) one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth!


I mentioned this on my facebook, and immediately had some requests for the recipe. She made it from that Point of Grace cookbook I have been talking about for months now.  It is fresh and fragrant and rich and wonderful...and perfectly southern summer!  Here goes...

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake a frozen 9 inch pie crust for 10-15 minutes, until starting to brown.  Layer 4 sliced tomatoes, 10 or more chopped fresh basil leaves, and 3 chopped green onions in the pie shell (I think my mom purposely left out the green onions).  Sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.  Combine 1 cup mozzerella, 1 cup cheddar, and 1 cup mayonnaise (preferably Duke's if you live where you can get it).  Spread on top of tomatoes.  Bake pie for 30 minutes or until pie is lightly brown and bubbly.  Let set for 10 minutes before slicing.  

"Ya'll" try this, and let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment