Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sweet, Simple Things

"I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I came across this quote in a cookbook a few weeks ago.  Having read and watched much Little House on the Prairie for years now, it is safe to say I admire Mrs. Wilder.  I even dressed up as a little Laura one year for Halloween in the early 80's!



When I read that quote from Laura in my cookbook, it really hit home for I too am growing to learn that the sweet and simple things are the most real in this complex world.  More and more it seems that simplicity and authenticity go together in my heart and mind.

As life has hurried on and sometimes forced its perplexities my way, I have found myself stopping quite often to intentionally notice and focus on the sweet and simple.

And so I thought I would occasionally stop to share some of these sweet, simple observations with you so we can slow down to enjoy the small and genuine together.

Here are a few glimpses of the sweet simplicity that surrounds me...

Fresh flowers on my kitchen table...





Simple ingredients that turn into something delicious...






Truth and beauty on display in my kitchen...




Priceless works of art...









I'll stop for now with my five year old's depiction of a mermaid on a rock by the water.  Such simple sweetness in those strokes.  I will be sharing more of these observations very soon, and would love to hear that you too are stopping to reflect on the sweet and simple in your path...

No comments:

Post a Comment