Thursday, July 29, 2010

Do It Anyway

As the sun was rising earlier, I was doing a quick facebook check with my morning coffee when I saw a poem my sister-in-law had posted on her page.  It was by Mother Teresa, and the words cut straight to my heart.  I spent a little time googling it and found it over and over, sometimes with slightly different wording, but with the same message.  I found the truth in these words completely raw and inspiring, especially knowing they were from a woman who spent her life giving and knows of what she writes.

These were words I needed to hear.  So I thought I'd share this poem with you, in case you needed to hear them too.



DO IT ANYWAY

by Mother Teresa

People are often unreasonable, 
illogical and self-centered; 
Forgive them anyway. 

If you are kind, 
people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives; 
Be kind anyway. 

If you are successful, 
you will win some false friends and true enemies; 
Succeed anyway. 

If you are honest and frank, 
people may cheat you; 
Be honest anyway. 

What you spend years building, 
someone could destroy overnight; 
Build anyway. 

If you find serenity and happiness, 
they may be jealous; 
Be happy anyway. 

The good you do today, 
people will often forget tomorrow; 
Do good anyway. 

Give the world the best you have, 
and it may never be enough; 
Give the world the best you've got anyway. 

You see, in the final analysis, 
it is between you and God; 
It was never between you and them anyway.


3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing that jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Thanx for the great reminder! You have a wonderful blog, I'll be back to visit I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I glanced at your blog and saw you have been a ministry wife for 30 years, that is wonderful...my husband became a full time pastor a decade ago when we were engaged....we have been serving together since we met when he was in seminary. I love connecting with other women who are in this role!! Sincerely glad you stopped by! :)

    ReplyDelete