Saturday, July 24, 2010

Backwards

Do you ever get it backwards? 


I sometimes do.


One day a few weeks ago I was in my kitchen when I noticed something.  My Keurig coffee maker (which I very happily received as a present last Christmas!) was next to the pantry, beside the sink, and under the cabinet with all my baking supplies.


My KitchenAid mixer was beside the refrigerator and under the cabinet which holds all of my mugs.


It dawned on me that day when I was spilling flour taking it across the kitchen that I had had it backwards for months now...it would make so much more sense for me to switch the two appliances, making everything easier and more convenient!



So I switched the Keurig and the KitchenAid. And life was made simple...at least for the moment!

It's funny though, ever since I made this simple switch it has been on my mind how often we get it backwards, not in the kitchen...but in life.


My mind went to the passage in Matthew 7:3. Jesus asked, "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"  In other words, he asked the people why they were judging others for small infractions when there was a huge, obvious problem in their own life; why in their judgment of others they never stopped to examine themselves; why when they thought they were so righteous, they were actually getting it completely backwards.


We've all been there at one time or another.  Our own sin issues, whatever they may be, become a plank in our eye that literally blinds us from seeing truth and our thinking gets all mixed up.


But just like the simple switch in my kitchen made life easier, so it is when we allow our thinking to be governed not by our opinions, selfish desires, and pride, but rather what the Bible says.  What God would want us to do.  What Jesus taught.


That's when we stop getting it backwards.


Thoughtfully,


Jennifer





No comments:

Post a Comment