Saturday, July 24, 2010

Confetti

I was awake long before the sun came up this morning, with lots on my heart and mind.  Instead of tossing and turning I went ahead and got up to make some coffee and spend some quiet time with God.  My friend had recently given me a box of Caribou Coffee's Daybreak coffee pods, and I chose one since the name seemed to fit the morning.  As the coffee dripped into my favorite oversized teacup covered in cheerfully colored flowers, I breathed in the aroma and opened the blinds to let the little light of daybreak in.  The windows were covered in dew.  Everything was quiet as I stirred in my cream.  Then I sat down on the green chair in the corner, coffee on the table next to it, with journal, Bible, and devotional book in hand.


I love moments with God.  I need them.  More and more I realize how dependent I am on God to accomplish anything, especially things of lasting value in people's lives.  After some time in prayer I opened up a new devotional book the same friend had given me with the coffee.  It was a Women of Faith book titled Encouraging One Another, a topic near and dear to my heart.  The forward was written by Nicole Johnson and I delighted in her words as I sipped my coffee and the sun started to come up...


She wrote, "Encouragement is to a relationship what confetti is to a party.  It's light, refreshing, and fun.  It's cheer you can throw someone's way.  But even deeper, it is the assurance you are there, that you are standing behind them and supporting them.  The time it takes to gather little pieces of love, grace, strength, and hope is well worth it when you see what happens as you shower those gifts on someone else.  It's like spiritual confetti, and it's the ultimate encouragement."


Friends, I love that!  I thought of the confetti I had put on the table at my children's last birthday parties, and the color and cheer it added to the spirit of the day.  I want to add that color and cheer into the lives of those around me.  I want to be a spiritual confetti thrower!  During some recent discouraging times, God has put some encouraging people in my path just when I needed it desperately...and I want to do the same for others.  I want to gather pieces of love, grace, strength, and hope to shower them on the people in my path both on their good days and bad.


Because from everything I've always studied in God's Word, that's what He would want me to do.


I hope some of you will join me in throwing some confetti someone's way today...


Hebrews 10:24 "Think of ways to encourage one another to outbursts of love and good deeds."



The table from my daughter's last birthday party, sprinkled with confetti...

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful wonderful post :) I love the image of tossing confetti around with a big smile! I'm always that person that inserts the plastic confetti into birthday cards that I mail to friends.

    It's so easy to forget how amazing it is to encourage one another. Sometimes we just get so caught up in ourselves!

    ReplyDelete