Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Books, Books, Books!

...Oh, how I love them!!

And I came home from Women of Faith with a stack of new ones just waiting to be read and written in and enjoyed and pondered and applied to my life.  I can't describe the excitement I get from seeing a fresh pile of books and an empty mug waiting to be filled with coffee or tea!



I have always enjoyed the Women of Faith novels of the year...this year they sold the three fiction pieces in a bundle that I bought and can't wait to get into!

As you know, I love using the Women of Faith Bible studies - I am in the middle of one right now, but they were also selling three new ones in a bundle for a great price this year, so I purchased that and can't wait to dive into those as well.  The titles were captivating...


I also got Lisa Whelchel's book Friendship for Grown-Ups, and finished it today.  It was packed with very good information, but there was a portion I wanted to share with you tonight.  It is a conversation she once had with her daughter...


"One morning, my younger daughter, Clancy, came downstairs and sat on the couch beside me.  I could tell she was upset even before she said, "Mama, you taught me that if we bring sin into the light, that it takes away its power.  I can't keep this inside of me anymore. I need to get it out." Clancy proceeded to confess her struggle and failure in an area.

Although she was sixteen years old at the time, I scooped her up, put her in my lap, and held on tightly.  I kissed the top of her head and thanked her for trusting me enough to invite me into her hidden places.  I assured her that her imperfection only made me love her more.

She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "I think some mothers think they give birth to angels, and when they mess up they think they are more like fallen angels.  I'm glad that you know you gave birth to a human."

That touched my heart deeply.  Isn't that what we all want?  To be seen in all our glory, for better or worse; for the good, the bad, and the ugly - and to still be embraced and kissed and held?"

Oh, how I long to offer that kind of unconditional love and acceptance to my children.  They are flawed in their humanity yet so loved by the deepest parts of my heart, even though I have the closest view of the broken places. Oh, how thankful I am that God offers unconditional love and acceptance to us, to me, His daughter. And how grateful I am for the few people in my life who love me unconditionally in my own broken humanity.  I was inspired as I read this book to be a person who is safe with the hidden places in others, to pray that God will always provide someone safe for mine, and to thank Him that no matter what, He is that safe place.  My heart is safe in His love.

So much wisdom can be found in a book.  What are you reading that is impacting your life for good?!  Turn some pages that will help turn your heart further to the Father!!  


Good night and good reading to you, sweet friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment