Thursday, August 5, 2010

Maple Oat Scones


I am a bit of an oat fanatic.  You have probably read of the recipe for baked oatmeal that has enhanced my mornings.


http://coffeechaosandcontentment.blogspot.com/2010/05/nathans-baked-oatmeal.html


Yum.  Oats are so good.  And I've always loved the taste and fragrance of maple, so when I read a recipe for Maple Oat Scones in a Farm Chicks cookbook I borrowed from my mom, I couldn't wait to try it!


Actually, it was my first time making scones.  I've eaten plenty in my day, just never made them!  They turned out so yummy, and if you like oats, maple, and walnuts you may want to give these a try.


Heat oven to 425.  Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats, and 2 tsp baking powder.  Use pastry blender or two knives to cut in 10 TBS cold, unsalted butter that has been cut into small pieces.  Cut in until butter is size of peas.  Add 1/3 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup maple syrup, and 1 egg and mix until combined (I also added a bit of maple extract).  Stir in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.


Turn out dough onto unfloured work surface and form into an 8 inch round about 1 inch thick.  Cut into 8 wedges and place on a baking sheet.  Bake until lightly browned, about 15-18 minutes.






Combine 1 TBS melted unsalted butter, 2 TBS maple syrup, 1 TBS heavy cream, and 1 cup confectioners sugar to make Maple Glaze (I also added another drop of the maple extract).  Whisk together until smooth and lump free, and drizzle onto cooled scones.



Perfect with a hot cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment