Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pumpkin Pancakes

My friend Mona in Maryland has been asking me for a pumpkin pancake recipe since last year, and I have been a total slacker in getting it up for her!  The good news is, on Saturday I tried a new recipe for pumpkin pancakes from the Gooseberry Patch Fall, Family, and Friends cookbook and I think it's the best one I've ever tried!  My mom said they were the best pumpkin pancakes she's ever eaten and my daughter gobbled them up, so I think this is the perfect one to post!  Recipe is as follows...


Combine 1 cup all purpose flour, 2 TBSP. brown sugar, 2 tsp. baking powder,  and 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (I used at least 1 1/2 tsps).  Combine 1 cup milk, 1 cup pumpkin (I used a heaping cup), and 2 egg yolks - add to to dry ingredients and mix. (Note: If I remember correctly I think I added a couple TBSP oil as well.) In a separate bowl and using an electric mixer at high speed, beat 2 egg whites until stiff peaks form (think meringue) - gently fold into pumpkin mixture.  Using 1/3 cup of batter at a time, cook on griddle, turning when tops are bubbling and edges are done.  Serve with maple syrup.




I am a fan of all things pumpkin, and these were delicious.  I think the reason I liked them even more than other recipes I've tried is that they were extremely light and fluffy,  probably because of the beaten egg whites.  If you are also a fan of pumpkin and all things autumn, this just may be the seasonal breakfast for you!  Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment