Saturday, June 26, 2010

Baking Cake Balls!

So, I kept hearing all this talk about cake balls, and wanted to know what was going on in the world.  I googled them and wow, this is a recent baking sensation!!  You can find site after site with cake ball recipes and variations, and some talented people out there do some unbelievably creative decorating with these!  My favorite site was http://www.bakerella.com/, a great place to browse and drool and be awestruck and inspired.


Of course I had to try these...so my daughter and I got to work one day and made our first batch.  Here is the basic cake ball recipe.  You bake a basic boxed mix cake...



After it cools a bit but while it is still somewhat warm, crumble the cake up and mix in a jar of frosting.  You can use different flavors of your choice.  I chose chocolate cake and chocolate frosting since, well, you can't go wrong there in my opinion! 



Next you roll the gooey cake/frosting mixture into balls and dip them into chocolate (since cake and frosting isn't sweet enough of course).  I used melted chocolate chips.  The dipping is the hardest part since you have to dip while it is freshly hot, before the chocolate hardens.  And at first we messed up, and our cake balls looked like cake blobs...my daughter said she felt like "I Love Lucy" (she is a fan and loves the classic job switching episode)!



This is because not all recipes I looked up said to let the cake balls harden in the refrigerator or freezer before dipping.  After I figured out this was the problem, I put the balls on some dishes lined with wax paper and let them harden before our next attempt at dipping...



And then the dipping went quite well!  As long as the chocolate was freshly melted that is...



Then we decorated them, patriotic style since this was around Memorial day.  But as you will see if you google these, the sky is the limit with decorating!






We also made some pretty sparkly ones...



These made a ton, so I handed them out and had quite a few taste-testers...and received lots of rave reviews! The chocolate/chocolate combo made them taste like truffles.  If you have never made these, you should try them - it's a messy, fun process and a delicious outcome!  They are perfect with a tall glass of cold milk.

I'm considering trying them soon with red velvet cake, cream cheese frosting, and chocolate almond bark.  If I do, I'll let you know how they turn out!


Until then, lots of love and happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment