Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies and Other Reminders of Edification

I have a friend who is absolutely dear, and everyone who knows her would probably describe her that way.


She makes the best chocolate chip cookies that my husband is crazy about, and I make Snickerdoodles that her husband is crazy about.


One day she and her husband came to my rescue in helping me with a surprise project for my husband.  I promised Snickerdoodles as a payment.


It took me a few weeks, but I dropped them off one afternoon to their house.  It was the day after Memorial Day, so I stuck some flag picks in the cookies and delivered them in a blue glass pan.


The other day my friend came over to practice some music for a worship set at church, and she returned the blue pan.  In it were some of her chocolate chip cookies.  She said she had always heard that when someone delivers food to you, you should never return their pan empty.




It is so like her not to leave something empty, but rather filled up.


You see, when I think of this friend I think of the word edification, which is a Biblical word. Literally, to edify means "to build up."  My friend looks for ways to practice edification, which is admittedly rare these days in a world where most people seem to go out of their way to tear others down.


This friend shares this gift with everyone around her.  I am not the only one who could share stories of receiving her famous chocolate chip cookies, or an encouraging note in the mail, or some kind words when they were needed most.  I am not alone in my gratefulness for her friendly smile, positive attitude, and ability to find something uplifting to say.


The pan filled with cookies just reminded me of how beautifully she shares the gift of edification.  And sure enough, a day or two later I received an encouraging note from her in the mail.  And sure enough, it was at a moment when I really needed it.


Thank you Cindy, for building up, not tearing down.  Your edifying spirit is a gift to all of us.




Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. (KJV)

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment