Friday, June 25, 2010

Favorite Things Father's Day Lunch

My husband is an amazing husband...thoughtful, gentle, humble, kind, strong, loyal, stable, consistent, romantic, God-fearing, faithful...I could go on and on!  But one of the things I absolutely love about him is that he is a wonderful dad to our two children.  So on Father's Day I wanted to do something special for him - and I decided to make him a "favorite things" lunch.  Now, I will preface this with the fact that some of his favorite things aren't the healthiest, so you health food purists out there may not enjoy this!


But he loved it, and I suppose that's what matters!


My inspiration for this meal actually started when I saw mini Nathan's hot dogs made into pigs-in-a-blanket at our local Publix...personally, I can't stand hot dogs but my husband loves them and Nathan's are probably second on the list of the kind he loves best (first being Vienna Beef which are found in Chicago).  And he loves pigs-in-a-blanket...so this was an easy main course!



I set the table with Wrigley Field plates since the Cubs are high on the list of favorite things...




And since french fries are also among his favorite foods (I warned you this wasn't health class), I found some awesome french fry seasoning at Crate and Barrel...


As well as some red, white, and blue french fry wrappers which fit with the Cubs theme...bought some frozen Ore-Ida waffle fries and this is what they looked like when done...


When we were dating, we used to go the park and drink IBC root beers and talk for hours, so I picked up a case of those...



And even though fruit is not his favorite, I served watermelon since it fit the meal and of all fruits, he likes melons the best.


I set a special place at the table for him...



And then surprised him with one of his favorite desserts at the end of our meal!  It was while he was eating this that he said, "Babe, you gotta blog about this." 


All I did was imitate one of his restaurant faves...a giant chocolate chip cookie, baked in a small cast iron skillet, and smothered with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup...but he just thought it was the best thing!  If you have a little skillet you could do this as well, or you could bake it in a small round baking dish.  It is so easy, and extremely delicious!  The best part was it put a huge smile on my husband's face, and I was just happy to make him happy.  He gives so much to our family and I never want to take that for granted.  Happy Father's Day Jimmy!  I am gratefully loving being on this journey of life together.  


1 comment: