Wednesday, December 26, 2012

When Christmas Doesn't Go Quite As Planned

Well, December flew by and Christmas arrived and we lit candles and worshiped and sang of Jesus and His birth.  Then gifts were exchanged and Santa came and unfortunately so did the flu, so some festivities have been delayed and things are very low key around here right now, though yesterday morning was still full of childlike wonder and for that I am so thankful.




It hurts your heart anytime your children are sick.  When they spend Christmas Eve on the couch or lie down in the middle of opening presents on Christmas Day, your heart breaks a little.  It could be so much worse though, I realize that.  Many suffer far, far worse than we do this Christmas.  And honestly, this year's dose of sickness doesn't hold a candle to our worst Christmas ever that I told you about last year.


We have, however, spent the last few days putting our little loves in cool baths to lower high fevers (even as I type I am praying for a fever to break), wiping away tears and holding buckets, finding kids who haven't taken naps in years sound asleep on the couch.  It has been sad.  It's not what we had planned.  But it is okay.


Because we are together.  We are watching I Love Lucy (Santa brought each of them a new season in their stockings!) and Disney movies and building Legos and playing American Girl hospital.  We are drinking hot tea and wearing comfy clothes and pj's and listening to Christmas music and enjoying this blessed season.






Because actually, the Christmastide/Yuletide that we sing about is from December 24th to January 6th from what I've read.  I like that, because growing up we didn't rush right out of Christmas (of course we didn't start it until after Thanksgiving in those days either).  We let the season linger a little bit.  The week or two after Christmas there would still be gatherings and open houses and trees would still be lit and gifts still on display.  Christmas music would still be playing in homes and everyone would be wearing new clothes and playing with new toys and still caught up in the spirit of giving and celebration and fellowship.


Which is why my decorations usually stay up a little into January and why I really enjoy the week after Christmas.  Honestly, with school getting out so very close to Christmas this year and the sickness that has hit our home the past couple days, I am praying everyone gets well quickly to enjoy some of the Christmas traditions we haven't gotten to yet throughout the next week.

 To catch up on Christmas a bit, if you will.


That's where we are right now.

And wherever you are, whether you've already packed Christmas away until next year or you are going to join me in letting the season linger a little longer, I hope yesterday was special.  I hope you were given a fun surprise and gave something special to someone you love.  I hope you ate delicious food and were surrounded by love and happiness.


Most of all, I hope this Christmas season you encountered Jesus.  I hope you worshiped at His manger throne and made your heart His Bethlehem.  I hope you remembered how very much He loves you, and how love came down that starry night.


It's not too late.

Come and adore Him.  Let Him wrap you in love and fill you with the joy of the season.



After all, He is what this beautiful season is all about.

Actually, He is what everything is about.


It's all about you, Jesus.

Thank you for coming, and for bidding us come.

3 comments:

  1. Thank-you for the lovely post. I really enjoy visiting you.

    I am so sorry that the kids were sick. I remember one CHRISTmas when that happened at our house. I hope the rest of the CHRISTmas break goes well for you. After reading your post, I am thinking I should leave my decorations up a bit longer than I usually do.

    Have a happy and blessed 2013!
    Debbi




    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how I found your blog...just blog hopping on my day off! I enjoyed your post very much and am now a follower. Thank you for sharing. In all the hustle, bustle, work, and the flu bug that went through our household the week before Christmas, I never even got all the ornaments on the tree. But, what we did manage to get up and decorated will definitely stay up for a little longer than usual this year. Besides, we have received our Christmas snow storm and Christmas lights always look better when there is snow!
    Best wishes to you and yours for a HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, I'm sorry to hear your kiddos have been sick, Jennifer. We had a couple of sicklings this year, too and today I don't feel too well. :/
    I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of your magical Christmas, though! All the smiles and surprised faces along with sleepy ones, princess mug and nativity ornament. I agree with you on the lingering of Christmas! I won't take my decor down until New Years, and I'm still munching on a few of the homemade goodies!
    Jesus is so sweet and made this year a blessed one for us.
    Blessings and Happy New Year,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete