Friday, September 21, 2012

A Taste Of Maryland

I know I've told you before how growing up a Maryland girl created in me a love for all things crab, shrimp, seafood, and Old Bay Seasoning.  There is nothing quite like the taste of Old Bay!  My cheeks pucker a little as I type this just thinking about its unique savory and spicy goodness.  Pass the steamed shrimp and vinegar, please!

A couple months ago my mom introduced me to a fabulous use of Old Bay and I have been meaning to share it with you!  If I remember correctly it may have been one of her Weight Watchers recipes, and it is an easy to make treat that is not bad for you!

You start by popping popcorn kernels in one of those microwaveable popcorn bowls where you don't have to add any oil or fat.  I put in a 1/3 cup kernels.  The thing is, you have to stay close by to listen for the popping to slow down because it can burn fast! In my microwave I figured out it takes about 2 minutes and 50 seconds, but yours could be completely different so don't leave the room or your house could smell like burnt popcorn in no time flat!



Once your popcorn is popped, put it in a large Ziploc bag or mixing bowl then either shake or stir it with a drizzle or two of olive oil...


Then sprinkle on some Old Bay and shake or stir until the popcorn is coated.  You can add just a pinch or be a little generous if you love it like I do!


This is a low calorie, high fiber, flavor loaded snack!


A little taste of Maryland, no matter where you may be!


Thanks, Mom!  You are still teaching me new things all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment