Thursday, January 28, 2010

Popover Pizza!



When I was a kid, I remember loving when my mom made popover pizza for dinner. I also have recollections of making a few pans at a time for the guys at Jimmy's apartment during college, and them scarfing it down and loving it (of course any homemade meal was a hit for them back then!)

I googled some popover pizza recipes and adapted one yesterday for lunch. At first my little skeptics glanced at it apprehensively, but then they gobbled it up - Trevor even deemed it "de-wicious!!" I served it with green beans and garlic breadsticks.

It fit the criteria I have to judge most meals by these days...inexpensive for a tight budget, nutritious for growing kids, quick to put together for a busy schedule, and filling and yummy for hungry, sometimes picky eaters.

Hope popover pizza is a hit in your home too!

Here we go...preheat oven to 400.

Brown 1 lb - 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef. I seasoned mine with garlic salt, oregano, and Italian seasoning as it cooked. Add a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (or if you are like me, whatever brand was buy one, get one free at Publix). Spread meat and sauce at the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.

Sprinkle meat mixture evenly with an 8 oz package of mozzarella cheese.

Beat together 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 TBSP oil (I used olive oil), 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 cup flour. Pour batter evenly over meat and cheese in casserole.

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if you have it (sadly I was out).

Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes until batter puffs up and is nice and golden brown on top.

Cut into squares and serve, crossing your fingers that it will get a "de-wicious" around your table too!

No comments:

Post a Comment