Thursday, January 28, 2010

Classic Oatmeal Waffles


My kids and I are big breakfast eaters...staying home with them has reminded me of the benefits of starting off the day with a healthy, nutritious meal.

I have really enjoyed trying new breakfast recipes the past few years. To provide better nutrition and save money, I try to make pancakes and waffles that are packed with good things (pumpkin, blueberries, bananas, whole grains, etc..) and then freeze them in freezer bags to reheat for quick, healthy, inexpensive breakfasts.

My mom gave me a new Gooseberry Patch cookbook for Christmas and I found a new waffle recipe that my kids (particularly Trevor, my more picky eater) and I have really enjoyed! These oatmeal waffles are really good if you top them with peaches and maple syrup that have simmered together for a few moments.

Recipe:

2 eggs beaten
2 cups buttermilk (as usual, I did the 1 cup milk/1 TBS vinegar substitution)
1 cup quick cooking oats, uncooked
1 TBSP molasses
1 TBSP oil (I omitted this)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Whisk together eggs and buttermilk in large bowl. Add oats; mix well. Stir in molasses and oil. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir into egg mixture. Thin with a little milk, if necessary. Pour about 3/4 cup batter onto lightly greased waffle iron. Bake as directed.

Here's to hearty, healthy starts to the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment