Wednesday, July 6, 2011

As American As Apple Pie

I've had this tray sitting on my kitchen counter for the past few weeks...


And with the celebration of the Fourth of July I had been wanting to bake a good, old-fashioned, homemade apple pie with the kids.

Today we were having a staying-inside-from-the-heat-but-not-turning-on-the-television kind of day.  I pulled out an old Longaberger cookbook and we set to work making Grandma Bonnie's Apple Pie.  I have only made a homemade pie crust once or twice so this was something new for all of us!  The kids were really into the sifting...


And even helped each other out when their hands got tired.


Madi did most of the work...I only helped a little.


But they both helped prepare the apples using the apple peeler/corer/slicer which is always lots of fun!  They get the biggest kick out of cranking that handle.


After lots of teamwork we had the pie assembled and in the oven.  As it was baking and I was washing dishes, I heard a commotion of laughter and squeals and looked out to see this....

The kids were having sack races down the hallway using their pillowcases!  Talk about good, old-fashioned, all-American fun!  When the pie came out of the oven it smelled of cinnamon and sugar and the crust, though not perfect in appearance, was cooked just right.


We let it cool on the table and then we did what any good family would do...


We had apple pie and vanilla ice cream for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment